Cats are recurring characters in Chrono Trigger. Crono confronts them as household pets, traps, distractions, and antagonists. Often, these cats are unlike any cat in the real world. They appear as tiny, furry animals in an array of colors. Despite their variations, each one has a white triangle on its chest. Cats only appear between Antiquity and the Future. Likely, these felines evolved from larger cats found in Prehistory.
- Crono's House - Present: A cat that follows the player around, while inside the house. Food for it can be obtained at the Millennial Fair by winning a mini-game in Norstein Bekkler's Tent of Horrors after having won a second cat. As the cats eat the food, more cats appear -- evidently their offspring.
- Leene Square - Present: A little girl has lost her cat. Crono can return it to her; if he does, she will be one of the witnesses for Crono during the Trial.
- Ozzie's Fort - Middle Ages: A cat flips a switch, and Ozzie The Great falls.
- Zeal Palace - Antiquity: A cat (named Alfador) that follows Janus around.
- Lucca's House - Present: Taban says there was a cat in Lucca's house, although it is never seen.
- Leene Square - Present: There is a race between a cat (named Catalack), a Reptite (costume), a Royal Guard, and a Soldier.
- Giant's Claw - Middle Ages: A cat falls from the ceiling, when the floor opens.
- Abandoned Sewers - Future: This cat is a trap that starts an ambush by causing noise, similar to the fake Save Point and the dropped can.
- Village Commons - Antiquity: Alfador can be found following Janus around. If Magus is in the party, Alfador will follow him around.
- In the main ending of Chrono Trigger, Crono's cat jumps into a time portal. Because of that, fans speculate that the cats seen in Ozzie's Fort, Giant's Claw and the Abandoned Sewers may be Crono's cat.
- The player can acquire up to eleven cats that reside in Crono's house.